10 Interesting Plumbing Facts You Need to Know
You probably thought that plumbing is pretty uninteresting. That is where you are wrong. Here are some fun facts about plumbing that you need to know:
- The term plumbing is derived from the Latin term for lead, plumbum.
- The most famous plumbers in history are the video game/ cartoon characters Mario and Luigi.
- Copper tubes and pipes have actually been used thousands of years ago. Egyptians used them to lay out their own plumbing lines in their castles 2500 years ago.
- Water pipes used to be made up of lead. Nowadays, knowing that lead is harmful for the body, lead pipes are not advisable to be used anymore.
- Water pipes weren’t always made of metals. Wooden logs, whose middles were hollowed, were used in Boston and Montreal in the 1800s.
- Sir John Harrington, a writer, built a flushing toilet system for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth I in 1596. It is widely believed that the term “john” is taken from his name.
- Albert Einstein, the world’s most famous theoretical physicist, is said to have remarked he wanted to become a plumber in his next life. He became an honorary member of the Plumbers and Steamfitters Union and received gold plated plumbing tools as a gift.
- There are over 100 slang terms being used to refer to toilets all over the world.
- An average person typically spends three years sitting on the toilet doing his business.
- The US sponsored a study to find out how people put their toilet paper in the holder. It found out that three out of four people preferred the flap in front. The US spent in excess of $100,000 to find out about this.
There you have it, some fun plumbing trivia for your pleasure. Take it from us, your Quad Cities 24 hr plumber. For prompt, courteous, and professional plumbing service, call C. Ewert Plumbing today at 563-322-3222.